Get Yourself Active
Do you love being physically active? Want to know what sporting and physical activity opportunities are available in your area? And how to access them?
LCiL, in partnership with Sports England, Disability Rights UK and Cheshire CiL, are involved in an exciting programme.
The aim of it is about developing opportunities for disabled people to access sport and physical exercise using personal budgets.
We are really excited about the potential this project has to raise awareness and the opportunity to develop practical ways for disabled people to take part in activity which is right for them.
This project presents some real opportunities for change through;
- Identifying solutions to the issues that disabled people face in accessing sport and physical activity
- Developing the capacity of sports providers and the community to offer accessible opportunities for disabled people to take part in sport and physical exercise
- Involving disabled people in the development of these services and creating opportunities for people to play an active part in their community
- Encouraging different ways of thinking about how personal budgets can be used creatively to include sport and physical activity
The project is taking place in Leicester and Cheshire, developing local opportunities with sport and activity providers, working with contacts in local authorities and most importantly support disabled people to access the opportunities that interest and inspire them.
Get in touch
If you are a disabled person (14+), family member, sports organisation or health or social care professional in Leicester please contact Daniel Ball for more information and ways to get involved.
Call 0116 222 5005 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can tweet Get Yourself Active project by using @GYALCiL @GetYrselfActive and use the project hashtag of #whatsyourPB
The Get Yourself Active website is launched
We are very proud to launch the brand new Get Yourself Active website for people who want to get active and those who want to support them. You can discover a range of useful information to help you navigate your way through the world of physical activity, sport and personalisation.
The website is unique because it gives users the information they need to start to think about incorporating physical activity and sport into the support plan and perhaps using their personal budget to pay for activities, support, transport etc. to take part. The idea is that we give disabled people and those that support them the tools to ensure that they have choice and control when it comes to being active.
Here are some tips to get you started on the website;
- Follow the paths on the homepage, these should help you to go to the right parts of the website for the information you need whether you are a disabled person, health or social care professional or physical activity provider.
- Amongst other things there are some useful downloadable resources under the Information tab including Getting Active and the Care Act, Personal budgets and personal health budgets andDisabled People’s User Led Organisations
- You can also find out about what’s available to you locally by going to our Information in your local area section
- Check out our News & Blog tab for Personal experiences from disabled people getting active and using their personal budget, Get Yourself Active team insights and thought pieces from friends of the project
- You can also find out more about our delivery partners in the Abouttab which also gives some information on why it is important to have choice and control when being active.
We will be adding lots of new content as part of the launch over the next few weeks so please follow us on twitter @GetYrselfActive to stay up to date!