Blue Badges are for drivers or passengers with severe mobility problems and for those who are registered blind. The scheme allows badge holders to park close to their destination, but applies only to on-street parking. Further details of concessions and restrictions will be supplied once your application has been approved.
You can get a Blue Badge if you:
- Are severely sight impaired/blind
- Receive the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
- Receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) under the appropriate criteria in the “Moving Around” section
- Receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Have been awarded a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces Compensation scheme
- Are a regular driver and have severe upper limb disabilities in both arms and you are unable to operate or has some difficulty operating, all or some types of parking meter*
- Have also been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which means you can’t walk or find walking very difficult*
* You may need to be assessed for eligibility
How to apply for a Blue Badge
You need to complete an application form. You can download a form below or
- you can apply online
- pick one up from one of our customer service centres
- request an application pack by calling 0116 454 1000
- download the application forms:
Automatic Blue Badge application form and
If you qualify under the automatic criteria we can complete your application while you wait at one of our customer service centres. We no longer produce the Badges however so will not be able to issue one on the day.
If you already have a Blue Badge that needs renewing we will send you a reminder letter, but you will still need to complete a new application form.
How much does a badge cost?
A badge costs £10 – this can be paid by debit or credit card by calling 0116 454 5600, by cheque or postal order payable to ‘Leicester City Council’ or in person at one of our customer service centres.
What else do you need to provide?
You will also need to provide:
- a passport photo. You can attach a photo to the application form or email a jpg or gif file under 200kb to firstname.lastname@example.org (you can also have a photo taken at a customer service centre)
- documentary evidence of your eligibility for an automatic application or to support your discretionary application
- proof of identity and address
Please allow six weeks for your application to be processed. If you do not complete the application fully or supply the correct documentary evidence will be not process the application.
What happens if your application is unsuccessful?
If your application is not successful we will return your fee. We will also send you details about the reassessment process. If you wish to request a reassessment you must write to us within 28 days and tell us about any additional medical conditions or information that we should consider.